Monday, September 3, 2012

Cravings

Since I've only got two more weeks left in the second trimester, I thought now would be a good time to reflect on the last few months of pregnancy.  As you might recall, my last pregnancy-related post recounted my impressions of the first trimester.  I know that some of you were saddened by my not-so-positive view of those initial months, but they were what they were (hey, I would have liked to feel better too!!!).  Consider this post your (or my?) redemption.

I have concluded that people crave cravings.  The first thing most people ask me about, upon realizing I'm pregnant, is about cravings.  People want you to crave things and are disappointed if you don't deliver.

Yet the first third of this pregnancy was all about aversions -- aversions to spicy food, hot (temperature) food, food with any smell, food that was fatty, food that was too salty, food that was sweet.  Along with the food aversions, I was averse to being touched anywhere, by anyone.  I was averse to sharp or sudden movements.  I couldn't lay on my stomach.  I couldn't lay on my side.  I couldn't sit upright.  And I couldn't stay awake for the life of me.  I'd sleep 12 hours and then embark on the monumental task of getting to the kitchen only to collapse on the couch for a 4 hour nap.  And when I did manage to keep my eyes open (or actually make it to the kitchen), I couldn't stop drooling.  But perhaps worst of all were the smells. Everyone and everything stank.  Horribly.  All the time.

This trimester has been much better, as many people promised.  I can be touched, which is good given that all the little kids at the Friend's School make a beeline for my stomach on a daily basis.  I can happily enjoy all the spicy food I want.  I can remain on my feet for more than a few minutes before requiring a several hour nap.  I can be around barefooted people without gagging from the stench of feet.  I can work!  I can walk!  I can eat! I can smile freely and without effort.  Yes, life is good.

The best part about this second trimester is Poodle himself.  He's got spunk.  Every so often he delivers a few quick and well placed kicks to some part of my abdomen that triggers a reflex response, causing me to involuntarily shoot a few inches into the air.  And a few days ago, for the first time, we were able to get a sense of his internal adventures simply by watching the bizarre jolts of my stomach.

He likes to do his own feverishly fast-paced version of Riverdance on my bladder at least once daily, and while the performances have caused me to make more than a few embarrassing trips to the bathroom, they also make me giggle with delight.  This baby has even gotten me to sing (okay, hum), which is something I rarely do.  The last time he was high stepping it on my bladder I found myself humming the intro song from The Departed, which is the only Irish tune I know. I think he dug it.  And while I unabashedly serenaded him,  I felt like a liberated woman.

He's a keeper.

Ernesto's a keeper too.  He's been pretty amazing with this pregnancy.  When I mentioned a craving for a TCBY coffee shiver, Ernesto offered to drive me to the mall (which is one of the places on Earth he most loathes) so I could get one.  When I struggle to sit up for the eighth time in an hour because I have to pee, yet again, Ernesto is there to give me the push.  When I'm about to clean or lift something questionable, Ernesto swoops in to take over.  At the prenatal appointments he's as engaged and involved as I am and he's  read as much, if not more than I have, on birth and parenting.  I used to proclaim that if I couldn't enjoy soft cheese, alcohol, or coffee during my pregnancy, then my partner (sure as hell) wasn't going to enjoy those things either (damnit!).  As it turns out, I don't care what he eats as long as he keeps supporting me in the ways that actually matter.  Who knew?

As for cravings, there have been few.  Throughout the entire pregnancy I have craved very cold foods and dairy products.  Each day I polish off a large container of plain yogurt. And on trips to San Jose I have found myself making frequent visits to and thinking often of TCBY and local gelato shops.  When we are at Ernesto's parent's house, I blend crushed ice with milk and marvel at how amazingly delicious iced milk tastes.

Last week, while shopping with Ernesto's mom, I saw a bottle of horseradish sauce and immediately knew that something vital had been missing from my diet and my life.  That night, I had potatoes and salmon smeared in horseradish sauce.  Delicious.  Since then, I've been finding all sorts of things to eat with horseradish, including pickles, olives, broccoli, crackers, meats, cheeses, and apples. Yesterday, I made horseradish mashed potatoes and horseradish-imbued salad dressing.  Spectacular.

So while the first trimester didn't do much to elevate my views towards pregnancy, the second trimester has been much more positive -- with the help of horseradish, yogurt, Riverdance, Ernesto, and Poodle of course.

1 comment:

  1. Hands down the BEST synopsis of the second trimester. Ever! You should put this in a book.
    The two (three) of you constantly amaze me with how lovely you are. I couldn't be happier for you, and I look forward to meeting Poodle! For the record, Tiago is my favorite variation (def better than Chepe dickwad).
    Un besote para los tres.

    ReplyDelete