Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Analyze This

I could write an entire blog post about the inappropriate things I've said in Spanish because I haven't understood context or haven't had more formal words to express myself, but it turns out I'm just as bad in dream states.

I'm sure I dream.  The problem is, I rarely remember them.  Sometimes I can remember that I had a really awesome dream, but I won't recall the actual content.  I might vividly recall a few dreams a year.

A few nights ago I had such a dream.

I have heard that you really know a language or think in a language when you begin to dream in that language.  I'm still waiting for that moment when I dream in Spanish.  Of course, since I hardly ever remember my dreams, it's possible that most of my dreams are in Spanish.  But I doubt it.

The dream I had a few nights ago was the first dream I can recall in which I spoke Spanish.  Not much Spanish, mind you, but a little.

I was at the hospital laboring with Santiago.  I was sweaty and irritable and focusing really intently on getting the little guy out.  As I was struggling to maintain concentration, Ernesto and the obstetrician (who is a very funny guy in real life too) were having a conversation, laughing and joking about something.  I felt angrier and angrier with them and gave them both a look of death, teeth bared and nostrils flaring.  But they kept up with the banter as I got explosively livid.

Finally, I looked at them and yelled at the top of my lungs (it reverberated through the halls of the hospital), "CALLATE HUEVÓN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

Now, really, I should have yelled "callense" since my comment was directed at the doctor and Ernesto (as opposed to one of them), but why would I expect my dream Spanish to be correct when my actual Spanish is a grammatical nightmare?

Anyway, "Callate huevón" is not a very nice thing to say and certainly isn't something you learn in school.  It's the equivalent of saying, "Shut the hell up!"

Of course, I learned this phrase (along with many other slang expressions) from Ernesto.  It's something Ernesto yells at his cousin Diego when Diego is pestering him or annoying him.

I have never said this in real life because I know it's not really appropriate for me to say to anyone.  Yet after two years of learning Spanish, this is what penetrates my dream world.  I'm both fascinated and disturbed.




No comments:

Post a Comment