First, a bit of background information: Costa Rican phone numbers are comprised of 8
digits. Up until last year, every single
phone number in Monteverde started with 2645.
Then, they changed a bunch of numbers in San Luis, making them start
with 2200. Mayhem.
You don’t mess with nature like that.
You shouldn’t.
Second: A nickname for Ignacio in Latin America is “Nacho”.
Third: Niko , Nacho and Martin are friends of ours. They study at the Friends’ School and they
train MMA with me.
Now a series of number-related anectodes. Small town big hill. Wait?
1) 6am, Saturday. Ring ring
right when you don’t want to hear any ring ring. Nothing.
“Joe?”
“No.”
“Is Joe there?”
“No.”
“Is this Joe’s?”
“No.”
“Ernesto?”
“Yes. You want ####”
***Now, before you think I’m being potty-mouthed, I am
simply preserving a bit of privacy for Joe.
Remember, most numbers begin with 2645, so all you need is the last four
digits. Ours are 5101. Try it.
You may even speak with us. You
can ask for Joe at 6am and I won’t mind***
Continue.
“Oh, ok, thanks!”
“Hmmm…”
2) I’ve done this too...
Ring tone. “Chepe?”
“No, Chepe’s is ####”.
“Thanks!”
3). 6:30 am, Sunday.
Ring ring.
“Hmmmm…”
“Ernesto, do you want tamales?”
“No, thanks.”
“Ok.”
4) Niko texts Martin:
“Mae, you know Nacho’s number?”
Martin replies: “####”
Niko, to that, replies: “Dumbass, why did you give me the
number to ‘Pollo Frito’ (‘Fried Chicken’)?!”
Martin ends the exchange: “Oh, I thought you wanted to eat
some nachos. Here’s Nacho’s number: ####.”
Phone numbers. Call
one and you just might talk to someone.
With luck, it’s the person you wanted to talk to.
No comments:
Post a Comment