Ernesto and I traveled up to northern Costa Rica with a colleague from the States. We fell in love with a little town called Pilon, which borders Tenorio Volcano National Park. And we were absolutely floored by the Rio Celeste river, which flows through the park. We unanimously agreed that Rio Celeste is one of the most beautiful bodies of waters any of us have ever seen in our lives. The hues of blues are truly unbelievable and probably a geologist's dream (Jay). From what I understand, the color is formed when two rivers, flowing from two separate volcanoes, converge. A combination of sulfur and calcium carbonate are responsible for the incredible blue color.
It's a bit of a hike to get to this part of the country (and a moderately challenging hike within the park), but it's well worth the effort.
After visiting Tenorio we drove to La Fortuna, the town that borders Arenal volcano, before heading back to Monteverde.
You look fantastic!! So happy and healthy. It's clear that life in CR agrees with you. I miss you tons--LRC is even more unbearable without you (thank Gawd for my Fletcher office), but it's clear you are where you need to me, and I'm so happy for you.
ReplyDeleteSend me a line sometime...