Before I relay this story, I should note that I wasn't present to witness the following events. I'm basing this account on what Ernesto told me (and what I remember of what he told me). He's been busy, busy, busy, so I'm sharing this little story with you on his behalf.
A few days ago, Ernesto stopped by the barn on the farm to talk to Chepe, one of the local men who's responsible for keeping the farm running. It was milking time, and normally the process is completely mechanized. However, for some reason one cow had to be manually milked, and Chepe and the other farmhand, Nene, asked Ernesto if he'd like to milk the cow.
Ernesto, always eager to participate, gladly agreed. As he was milking the cow, forearms burning, he wove his left arm around the back of the cow's hind legs to access the tits from the rear. He was making progress with the cow (and likely feeling proud of himself) when he heard Nene yelling "Eh, eh, eh!!!!" and saw Chepe running towards him. At the same moment that he caught sight of a smile spreading across Chepe's face, he felt the hot splashes of cow dung spread across his arm, his shirt, and his face.
Chepe, laughing so hard he almost fell over, explained to Ernesto the cardinal rule of milking: attend to the tail. When a cow raises its tail, you back off.
Covered in cow poop, Ernesto walked home, still quite pleased with his milking experience.
school of hard knocks...did chepe attend the u? no! did chepe attend usf? no! did nesto learn the most valuable lesson of his life from chepe? si'!!! dr.chepe!!!
ReplyDeleteI love reading your posts! I think of you every day, and miss you a ton! Life in CR looks wonderful, even with all the rain and bovines! I so wish we could stop by for a bottle of wine and a good meal chez vous.
ReplyDeleteUn abrazo muy fuerte!