Wednesday, September 29, 2010

These gates are made for closing . . .

As you can gather from our posts, it's quite muddy here. Fortunately, Kate and I are resilient creatures, adapting to the forces of the rain forest. What doesn't kill us makes us muddy, moist, and stronger. What follows is an example of a muddy event from the past few days.

1) After an unusually late Friday night for us (going to bed around 1am), we were understandably quite sleepy. At around 5:30 I woke up to pee, when I noticed four or five cows walking right past my car. Now, while we live on a cattle farm, the cows aren't supposed to be in the area right around our house. Backtracking to Friday night, it was rainy and we were both tired as we drove home. And, since we were going to go to the Feria (farmer's market) early on Saturday, we figured we would leave one of the two gates that lead to our house open. Big mistake.

It just so happened that the cattle were rotated to the paddock right next to our house early Saturday morning. And it just so happened that the one gate I decided to leave open out of laziness was the one gate that would separate the cattle from us. So there I was, half asleep, rubbing my eyes to make sure I saw what I just saw. Great, I thought to myself.

Rubber boots on, and with a big stick in hand, I entered the yard yelling “Ha! Ha! Jale hijueputas! (pronounced Ha-lay ee-whey-poo-tas, and meaning “get out of here you sons of bitches!”). Rounding the back of the house, creating nice muddy tracks, the five cows finally made it over to the paddock to join the 30 or so of their comrades who wouldn't take their eyes off of me. Inside, Kate peeked out the window while the dogs went nuts.

Later, as we headed to the feria, Kate drove, while I cleared the cattle from our path. Fortunately, the droppings left in our yard were few, although there are still muddy tracks from where the wandering bovine roamed. Lesson learned.

Kate has provided a video montage of actual footage and relevant educational tidbits regarding the aforementioned events.

If the video won't start, try clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment