Sunday, June 24, 2012

Re-affirmation


“Then don’t drink beer”, Mrs. Brelsford told me, quite matter of factly, after I mentioned how consuming them would often times lead me to having bad night sleeps, and even headaches the next morning.  And I wasn’t talking about keg-stands, and beer pong tournaments.  Just one beer had been producing those unpleasant effects on me.

At the time, I could see the logic behind the advice, but the issue lay in liking to drink beer.  Hmm.  Tough one.  Maybe?  Not really.  The changes went from bad sleep to headache in the morning, to headache within minutes of a sip.  So here, in Cayey, Puerto Rico, I had my last sip of beer or wine, upon realizing that the headaches are simply not welcome.  Bye bye booze.  There’s worse things to give up: cheese, chicharrones, mofongo! 

So this weekend has been real nice.  Saturday started out with a bit of promotion for the health fair we will run this coming Friday at Barrio La Vega, here in Cayey.  The health fair is part of the community outreach component of the field school I am working for.  It also provides the students for a bit of an opportunity to engage in a bit of research for their projects.  This year the topics are STIs and homophobia.   The idea is to examine some social underpinning of each phenomena, seeing what factors may be harmful for public health matters.  So we walked around the neighborhood for an hour, handing out flyers and letting the residents know what would be available and happening at the health fair.

As a big attraction we’ll have Major League Baseball player Alex Cora, who lives in Cayey.  Starting his career at the University of Miama, he then played for numerous MLB teams.  I’ll try to get Soupy and Jody some autographs.  Alex will have a sports workshop for the youth of the neighborhood.
The rest of my Saturday was calm.  I took a nap, watched some UFC fights I have on my computer, and had a nice and strong workout.  At night, I made plans with Natalia (another graduate student working with me), her boyfriend, and June (yet another grad student who flew in yesterday to spend a week here) to go to the beach. 

So to the beach we went.  To “La Posita de Pi~nones Loiza” to be exact.




From left to right: Natalia, June, Victor

 It was gourgeous.  It’s called La Posita because there’s a big sort of tide pool formed by a layer of reef.  We had great weather and spent a bunch of time in the water.  It was pretty windy too, which was a nice contrast to the strong sun in the cloudless sky.

At around 4ish, we went to a little stand where they sold typical foods.  I had an alcapurria with “juey” (a crab), one with beef, and an arepa with juey.  So first: an alcapurria is a fried delicious food, made out of “yautia blanca”.  Yautia blanca, in turn, is a type of tuber, sort of like manioc.  They make a paste out of the tuber, stuff it with a meat of choice, and deep fry it.  The arepa in Puerto Rico is a bit like the one in Costa Rica, (which is sort of like a pancake, but a bit dryer); however, in Puerto Rico I find them to be fluffier, less dense.  The ones here had coconut in them, providing a beautiful backdrop for the juey crab. 

 Some of the fried goodies cooked over a nice wood fire.


But the day was nice for reasons transcending food and scenery.  With Natalia and Victor I have established a real nice friendship, exploring the intricacies of Latin American Spanish varieties and analyzing the challenges that both their island and my country face in this globalizing world. 

“Tu sabe es que yo no tomo…”said Victor (You know that I don’t drink).  Right around that time, dealing with topics surrounding and departing from this one, my first “tu sabe” flowed before my eyes.  It’s a moment of transcendence, really.  Not the act of uttering that phrase per se; more the act of deciphering unconsciously an aesthetic cultural dynamic to the extent that a local way of expressing oneself becomes self evident beyond a confining logos; it becomes apparent only if it’s taken-for-grantedness is deconstructed, the underlying structure exposed for phonetic and semiotic analysis. 

Now if you are not familiar with Costa Rican varieties of Spanish, “tu sabe” is not one we use (we usually use “vos sabes” or “usted sabe”).   Later, I would insert a “pues nada”, as a sort of ontological grounding point, a reset to the interaction signaling a grasping of confidence, a reorganization of thoughts and postures in preparation for the next discursive step. 

I’ve been told that the I-Ching reading has its power in the ability to bring to light synchronicity of multiple elements of our cognitive horizon which can be seen to connect in ways that bring existential organization into our feeling.  I think cross-cultural connections have the same type of effect, but in a more powerful way (if one were to apply a measurement and definition of power to such topics).  I’ve felt re-affirmed and synchronized in making friendships here, and in experiencing what it feel s like to be a friend with a different form of Spanish, consuming a distinct way of preparing plantains and tubers, but being united by a similar thread that seeks originality of expression, freedom from mass-consumerism and Walmart-development, and hopes of crafting a way of living in which basic needs are guaranteed for all to live with dignity.   

Tu sabe?

No comments:

Post a Comment