Sunday, October 16, 2011

Ayote

Ernesto and I have been reaping the benefits of Ernesto's hard work in the garden.  Last week, Ernesto yelled for me to come out to one of the garden plots as quickly as I could.  I dashed outside to see Ernesto, wide-eyed and pleased-as-punch, standing over a massive, 16+ pound ayote (squash) nestled in the tall grass of the garden. 

We brought the ayote down with us to San Jose and Ernesto's mom used it to make a delicious squash soup.

Ernesto has been plucking and picking many treats for us lately.  He plucked the first carrot from the ground a few weeks ago, and picks achochas (a South American member of the Curcubit family that also includes squash and cucumbers) daily.  He also brings in lemon grass, other greens, chili peppers, and other treats regularly.

I can't take any credit for our garden delights, but am damn proud of Ernesto's green thumb and greens!

We've been gone for over a week and there's a good chance all sorts of changes have occurred while we've been gone.  With a relentless week of rain, who knows what has cropped up in Ernesto's absence.

I know that Ernesto will check on the garden even before the car's engine has been turned off.  I'm hoping there are more ayote awaiting us and more soup to be had.

1 comment: