Friday, January 21, 2011

Excerpt from a holiday present

I've had many notebooks before.
This one here is new.
It was given to me by Em and Jay.
Emily and Jay.
Emily smiled at me and told me she knew
it was me when she saw it.
I think I see myself in it too.
Even though these pages are empty,
they are already filled with memories.

I've left many notebooks unfinished before.
And I speak not of metaphor,
even it this marks an opening of a door.

In this notebook I want to write stories.
I will write about Uncle Bobby's boot.
Uncle Bobby's boot is a boot in key chain form
given to me by Diana.

It was given to me after Bobby stopped being with us in some form.
His corporeal side turned to ashed and dust,
Uncle Bobby's boot allows me to enter my house.
This is no small task allotted to a small boot.
Uncle Bobby's boot.

This morning there was a feeling that would inevitably prompt me
to write these words:
Edie Vader's voice and an acoustic guitar.

Later, a phrase came to my head and sealed the deal:
-If I don't witness the resistance I will never realize
or understand my true level of fitness-

This is a new notebook and I've had many before.
It was given to me by Emily
-Emily and Jay-
It is beautiful mossy gray, of leather.
I hope to mark some memories in these pages and to usher
in hues of creativity.
Leather bound notebook, unbound boundaries as writing
does with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment