Pre amble:
This blog does not blog as before. It's us, not it. That's fine. "Nuestra Casa...", our house has changed drastically for the better with Santiago. But this blog does not blog for some reason. It's cool.
Home can be wherever.
Now, the blog entry for today:
Bring me home bunny, in a fun way—funny too. He did. It had easily been 17 years (prime numbers
are sweet) since I’d seen an episode of “Looney Tunes”, and probably close to 23 years since I’d seen these
cartoons on a regular basis. So we are
in Topsail, North Carolina, and I say “what’s up Doc?” to Isabelle, who doesn’t
get it. And it’s not my delivery;
noooo. I deliver some mean Bunny. No, this young lady has not seen Bugs
Bunny. Times change as time ticks.
Hooray for Youtube (#win).
So I pull up some old school (circa 1960s I think) Looney
Tunes featuring Bugs and a plump Elmer Fudd, and some with Yosemite Sam and I
drift, drift, drift in joy and delight.
It’s a rebirth, nothing less. Imagine a treasure chest you’d laid to rest
in youth’s memory, that emerges upon you, but “you” are quite different. You return through the reruns. You’ve been there before, but never like
this.
This is awesome (#win).
Bugs is a f%$#ing boss. He is post-heroic. He mocks conventions that uphold heroes,
emerging uber-heroic. He #neverfails. He never even so comes close to entertaining
failure. Fudd’s side-by-side 12 gauge
shotgun cannot even rouse a hair off our trickster’s head. No concern, cause this is a world in which
wit and humor trump anger, the slow of wit, and the aggressive. Two nemeses to highlight here: Fudd and Sam;
dumb, slow and wanting to inflict pain or death upon the Wabbit through
violence. Trickster prevails, you laugh. Messages conveyed, subtlely. Done. (At times he reminds me of Robin Williams in his young, coked up stand up comedy days.)
Bugs never loses, and he never
loses his temper. Cool as can be. They are characters and they carry signs,
being themselves signs. There is
substantial depth to these cartoons, looney as can be. The 30 year old I am says to my five year old
self, “they are made for you and me.”
Belle laughs a lot. She now asks me to remember certain scenes,
and to say “Wabbit”.
#Winning
No comments:
Post a Comment